Re: Best practices for development workstations

Hi,

On Wed, 31.03.2010 at 08:46:01 +0100, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
> On Dienstag, 30. März 2010, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> > > squid!
> > > (Or any other normal http proxy. I don't recommend any apt-proxy
> > > solution...)
> > Can you explain why?
>
> apt-proxy had issues when I tried (as well as others, which I cannot rememeber
> now),

me too. Apt-proxy has a very unpleasant tendency to simply hang every
now and then, and has almost been declared deprecated.

> approx iirc requires to changes /etc/apt/sources list, squid always

Yes. You need to point your sources.list to the apt-proxy instance.

> worked for me and never had issues, squid is useful for more then just
> proxying apt repositories, squid can be set up as a transparent proxy quite
> easily, updating a full/partial mirror usually takes more bandwidth then just
> using a proxy.

Actually, squid has its own slew of problems. Eg. I've yet to see a
machine where Squid runs reliably under anything resembling a
"reasonable load", instead of falling over frequently, and it can be
difficult to have the features work that you want in such a setting.
Eg. Lenny's version of Squid doesn't work for me on Lenny.

I'm currently test-driving apt-cacher-ng, which has it's own bag of
problems so far, but seems to be lighter and so far more reliable than
apt-proxy.

Kind regards,

--Toni++