Re: German Debian

I'm a bit late but...

Marc Haber <mh+debian-devel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

> Unfortunately, all of Debian. Translating technical texts from English
> to German is controversial at its best, and the Debian translators
> have taken my least favorite approach of eliminating all English,
> leading to barbarities like "SMTP-Sendezentrale" or
> "Sicherheitsgutachten". Debian's German translations feel to me (a
> native speaker of German) as babelfished from English.

ACK

> I used to take a look at Debian's translations of my own package's
> Debconf templates, but nowadays I just treat them as just another
> language that I don't speak. This approach saves me a lot of grief.

Same here.

>>Sounds like Debian has QA issues wrt the website translations. I
>>assume that you reported that to the German website l10n folks,
>>debian-i18n and debian-www?
>
> They are resistant to advice and think their way is the correct way.
> They work with a word list, so it must be correct.

I found the same.  They seem to want to invent a new german IT-lingo,
which simply isn't accepted by the majority who just talk german grammar
with english vocabulary.

I don't care anymore for german translations. May the ones who cannot
read the english original *and* have trouble with the german text
discuss with them.

Regards, Frank
--
Dr. Frank Küster