Re: Naming policy for Perl modules (mass bug filing)

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@43-1.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@43-1.org> writes:
>> the Debian Perl Policy asks for packages for the Foo::Bar module to be
>> named libfoo-bar-perl [1].  Some packages do not adhere to this scheme:
> [...]
>> Unless there are objections I will file bugs of severity "normal" in a
>> few days for these packages.
> The bugs are now filed with severity "wishlist" and user-tagged.
> A list can be obtained from [1].
> Regards,
> Ansgar
> [1] <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=perl-naming-policy;users=ansgar@2008.43-1.org>
> --

Philosophical question: When does this sort of thing get taken care
of? In twenty years, will Debian (if it's still going) have myriad
misnamed libraries? I know one can

Shouldn't housecleaning like this be of higher priority, especially
say, when a new version has just been put out? That way, maintainers
would have months to slowly work on one package (and its associated
reverse-dependencies) at a time.

I do not know the technical constraints (no autobuild, etc), but
consistency is a valuable trait of an operating system.

Luke L.