Re: Best practices for development workstations

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 05:43:06PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
> I use a combination of the two of these except with testing on my primary
> workstation (the one that I can't afford to have go down), but list and
> deprioritize sid in sources.list on the workstation running testing.  Then
> when testing builds of my own applications, I let apt resolve dependencies
> from unstable where needed.

One other potential problem with having my build environment be the
same as my workstation: I sometimes have non-Debian packages installed
(MythTV, nvidia drivers, other stuff I'm working on, etc.) that I
occasionally worry could cause dependency issues.  To date I have been
careful with where I build things, and haven't yet had that problem.
But there is something of a conflict between "work environment" and
"clean development environment".  Of course, once I go to having
development in its own environment, there is no longer much call for
running sid directly on the thing -- and listing but deprioritizing
sid could be useful for when I have to test things from sid.

-- John