Re: Status of kernel patch packages

On Tue, Mar 23 2010, Yann Dirson wrote:

> Let's maybe stay focussed on the initial problem: we *had* a way to
> handle kernel patches as part of a self-contained distribution, but
> there is no support for this any more.  Moreover that support we had
> was not 100% satisfactory (eg. bad handling of conflicting patches
> needing manual merge - although that was something I wanted to address
> in the never-finished dh-kpatches 0.100).  My idea is to rethink the
> whole thing using today's tools - namely, git.
>
> Anyway, to get back to the initial problem of the current linux-patch
> packages, we currently still have patches in the distro, which were
> packaged for a mechanism that is not to be shipped in squeeze (and
> referencing that obsolete mechanism in their /usr/share/doc/), and
> this in itself is a problem of quality of the overal distro, right ?

        So all we really need is a little script that does the
 patch/unpatch  that make-kpkg used to do on the fly, and have the user
 run the patch script, call make-kpkg (or make deb-pkg, or what have
 you), and call the unpatch script later if the feel like it.

        This should be pretty simple to do, really.

        manoj
--
When one is overcome by this wretched, clinging desire in the world,
one's sorrows increase like grass growing up after a lot of rain. 335