Re: libgcrypt brain dead?

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:

Hrm, I've been swamped with work, and have neglected most of my packages
for far too long (though some intentional), I'll give the idea some
thought, though, OpenLDAP is *very* critical to both my home and work
setup !

The first step would be to reach consensus on removing from our archive the
traditional LDAP NSS and PAM modules and replacing them with the ldapd
versions, which talk to a system daemon over a protocol rather than pull
all the libraries into the same executable.

Oh Hell yeah,  I've been neglecting libnss-ldap and libpam-ldap whilst
investigating and moving all my usage to Arthur's excellent
nss-pam-ldapd package ...  It now has enough support that I've been
trying to find a 'nice way' to ask for the deprecation and/or removal of
the older and very problematical PADL packages.

The early boot issues are gone, as are shutdown (due to bash/library)
issues, proper filtering and attribute request, password changing works
now - krb5 support seems to work, ...

Once that's been done, the problem of getting license exceptions for all
other GPL packages that link directly to OpenLDAP might be tractable.  (Or
it might not; I haven't done any of the necessary investigative work.)

Ditto, being stuck between idiology, and needing to actually get my work
done can be a rough spot - it becomes too easy to blame others for work
I've neglected getting involved in :(

--
Rick Nelson
<_Anarchy_> Argh.. who's handing out the paper bags  8)