Re: Essential and Packages files vs /etc/.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:54:18 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> >> Then you clearly don't understand the purpose of Essential.
> >
> > I understand the theory, I've just never seen the practical purpose of
> > the current mechanism. Yes, it shortens Depends: lines but if the
> > dependencies are not listed and the Essential tag is omitted, what
> > actually goes wrong?

Hmm, phrased that wrong - got distracted instead of taking out that
question before sending. The real issue, for me, was the next bit:

> It's one thing having a list of packages that can
> be omitted from the dependency list but having a tag in the control
> file (and Packages file) seems utterly pointless. With a little care,
> Essential is irrelevant.

... and having Essential in the Packages file makes it harder than it
could be to avoid Essential if the list was in /etc.

> The user removes the package and breaks their system.

That's no reason to have the flag in the Packages file - that could
just be a file in /etc used by apt. The mechanism doesn't warrant being
in the Packages file - I'm not seeking to drop the mechanism itself
in Debian, just in certain controlled environments like Emdebian and
the use of Packages files makes that unnecessarily difficult compared
to a file in /etc/.

If a suitably reconfigured busybox package is available, lots of
Essential packages can be removed without any breakage. The problem is
that the implementation of Essential gets in the way of such a fix
(which could otherwise be done trivially using Conflicts:).

In a Debian chroot:
root@holly:/# dpkg -i /home/busybox-extended_1.0_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package busybox-extended.
dpkg: regarding .../busybox-extended_1.0_all.deb containing busybox-extended:
 busybox-extended conflicts with util-linux
  util-linux (version 2.16.2-0) is present and installed.
dpkg: error processing /home/busybox-extended_1.0_all.deb (--install):
 conflicting packages - not installing busybox-extended
 /home/busybox-extended_1.0_all.deb

In a chroot without any Essential: yes tags in Packages files:
(Emdebian Grip)

root@holly:/# dpkg -i /home/busybox-extended_1.0_all.deb
Selecting previously deselected package busybox-extended.
dpkg: considering removing util-linux in favour of busybox-extended ...
dpkg: yes, will remove util-linux in favour of busybox-extended.
(Reading database ... 6149 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking busybox-extended (from .../busybox-extended_1.0_all.deb) ...
Setting up busybox-extended (1.0) ...

In this test, busybox-extended was just an equivs package that
Provides:, Conflicts: Replaces: util-linux.

--

Neil Williams