Re: Bits from the Release Team: What should go into squeeze?

Hi,

On Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 21:57:49 +0100, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 21:42, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:
> > From a current point of view squeeze will release with kernel 2.6.32
>
> Would it be possible to, instead, release with kernel 2.6.33?
>
> I see at least two improvements from 2.6.32 to 2.6.33 that will matter
> a lot to certain subsets of users:
>
> * The TRIM command has been included in the block layer, allowing
> efficient long-term use of SSD drives.
>
> * EDAC on the amd64 platform has had many fixes, allowing monitoring
> and control of EEC ram.  Pre-2.6.33 kernels don't support EDAC at all
> on many common systems.

* MIPS subarch octeon got added.

There are always good points to go for newer kernels. On the other hand,
2.6.32 will get long-term support and most other distributions will also
ship 2.6.32 kernels, which makes eg. security support much easier.

Greetings
Martin

PS: My personal opinion? I would really like to see octeon support for
Debian Squeeze... ;-)
--
 Martin Zobel-Helas <zobel@debian.org>  | Debian System Administrator
 Debian & GNU/Linux Developer           |           Debian Listmaster