Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

On 08/03/10 at 16:14 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 21:53, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>
> >> Maybe the group of people doing that work should also be the people who
> >> decide when Python 2.6 will be uploaded, if the current maintainer
> >> isn't able or willing to coordinate the work for whatever reason?
>
> > Yes, that would be awesome in theory, still quite difficult (or seen as
> > rude) in reality.
>
> Well, I'm personally not directly involved with Python development, but it
> seems like a lot of people are upset with the way that the python package
> is being maintained.  We do have a procedure for this: it falls under the
> jurisdiction of the Debian Technical Committee.  If there is a group of
> people who believe they would be better able to maintain the python
> package than the current maintainer and are willing to assemble a team and
> propose themselves as the maintainers, that's certainly something that can
> be appealed to the Debian Technical Committee for discussion.
>
> Obviously, that's a very confrontational approach, but it sounds like,
> just from the spillover that shows up in debian-devel from time to time,
> like less confrontational approaches aren't proving successful.  And
> sometimes raising the question formally is enough to resolve the situation
> without the Technical Committee having to do anything.

Actually, it seems to me that taking the issue to the Technical
Committee is actually less confrontational than the current ad hominem
attacks. However, I have the impression that some people are happy with
the current situation where they can threaten to hijack the python
package, and blame the current maintainer for all their problems. But it
is not clear to me that those people are really seriously ready to take
over the maintenance of the python interpreter.

Having the TC take a fresh look at the situation would be a good move.
Last time I investigated the python problems, it was quite clear that
the situation wasn't as black and white as some people seem to think.