Re: Has Debian abandoned Python?

Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 21:53, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> Maybe the group of people doing that work should also be the people who
>> decide when Python 2.6 will be uploaded, if the current maintainer
>> isn't able or willing to coordinate the work for whatever reason?

> Yes, that would be awesome in theory, still quite difficult (or seen as
> rude) in reality.

Well, I'm personally not directly involved with Python development, but it
seems like a lot of people are upset with the way that the python package
is being maintained.  We do have a procedure for this: it falls under the
jurisdiction of the Debian Technical Committee.  If there is a group of
people who believe they would be better able to maintain the python
package than the current maintainer and are willing to assemble a team and
propose themselves as the maintainers, that's certainly something that can
be appealed to the Debian Technical Committee for discussion.

Obviously, that's a very confrontational approach, but it sounds like,
just from the spillover that shows up in debian-devel from time to time,
like less confrontational approaches aren't proving successful.  And
sometimes raising the question formally is enough to resolve the situation
without the Technical Committee having to do anything.