Re: including full package source code in the debian release

----- Original Message -----
From: Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
Date: Sunday, March 7, 2010 12:57 am
Subject: Re: including full package source code in the debian release
To: Jamie Morken <jmorken@shaw.ca>
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org

> There are two little flaws in your reasoning.
>      1. Compression ratios, even for source
> code, don’t reach 99%.

Hi,

I have seen some 7zip archives that can get up to a compression factor over 100 (ie. large wikipedia database dumps:
enwiki-20080103-pages-meta-history.xml.7z    18GB
enwiki-20080103-pages-meta-history.xml       2.8TB!

Maybe this high compression is due to the xml repeating markup's in addition to the large file size, not sure though, but it is impressive compression.

>      2. There are other very little things
> in source packages, such as,
>         I don’t know… data?
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/source/iso-dvd/
>
> The overall size of the full compressed sources is 17 GB. Tell
> me this
> has only a minor impact.

I forgot to consider images/data etc.  Thanks for the clarification.

cheers,
Jamie