Re: including full package source code in the debian release

Le samedi 06 mars 2010 à 19:29 -0800, Jamie Morken a écrit :
> assuming 32KB per 1000 lines of code, this would be about 8.6GB for
> 283 million lines of code.
>
> assuming a factor of 100 for the compression of this code, this would
> give approx 88MB of extra space required in the debian distribution
> for all of this source code.
>
> the total size of the current full Debian distribution is over 18GB:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/i386/iso-dvd/
>
> so including compressed package source code would have a very minor
> impact on the overall file size of the debian release.

There are two little flaws in your reasoning.
     1. Compression ratios, even for source code, don’t reach 99%.
     2. There are other very little things in source packages, such as,
        I don’t know… data?

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/5.0.4/source/iso-dvd/

The overall size of the full compressed sources is 17 GB. Tell me this
has only a minor impact.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :