Re: dpkg-deb temporary storage directory

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 05:14:48PM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-06 at 18:15 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@debian.org> (06/03/2010):
> > > How can I change the temporary directory where it builds the
> > > tarballs? I don't see anything in the manpage or dpkg-deb --help
> > > output.
> >
> > (Untested)
> >
> > It probably honours TMP/TMPDIR environment variables.
>
> Ah yes, a search for "dpkg-deb TMPDIR" turns up bug 247086 where someone
> asked to include this in the documentation.  The reply: but it's so
> obvious, no need to include it.  Version 1.10.22 claimed to fix it, but
> only fixed one part of the bug, the TMPDIR issue remained.
>
> I've been a DD for ten years and didn't think of it, so I can't agree
> about the obviousness...  I think I'll open a new bug.

This makes me wonder if it would be a good idea to include something
in policy about applications respecting TMP/TMPDIR.  I have run across
several applications in Debian at various times that do not really
support TMP and TMPDIR to the degree that one would expect.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez