dpkg-deb temporary storage directory

Greetings,

I'm working on a package for Salomé, and some of its binaries are really
huge -- way too big, I'll split them up at some point.

But in the meantime, I'm getting the following error and want to avoid
it:

dpkg-deb: building package `salome-doc' in `../salome-doc_5.1.3-5opvk1_all.deb'.
dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip error: read(4096) != write(0): No space left on device
dpkg-deb: subprocess <compress> from tar -cf returned error exit status 2
dh_builddeb: dpkg-deb returned exit code 2

The partition where I'm building this has 6 gigs of free space, which is
more than enough room, and building within a chroot on that partition
works fine.  So I guess it's trying to build a tarball in a temporary
storage directory, and / has "only" 380 megs free.

How can I change the temporary directory where it builds the tarballs?
I don't see anything in the manpage or dpkg-deb --help output.

[Please CC me in replies.]

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/