Re: md5sums files

On 06/03/2010 09:27, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
>> Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:
> [...]
>>> Is there any reason why we can't just modify dpkg-deb to create
>>> DEBIAN/md5sums and DEBIAN/sha512sums and get archive coverage relatively
>>> quickly, automatically, as things get rebuilt?
>
>> Figuring out a better solution for why the files in /var/lib/ispell and
>> /var/lib/aspell are excluded from the md5sums generation because they
>> change after installation is probably needed
> [...]
>
> Hello,
> I think these hash files are not arch independent. Which is why the
> packages only ship empty files in the deb and generate the correct
> binary data in postinst. This way the hash files are listed in dpkg
> -L, and dpkg takes care of removal instead of relying on
> maintainerscripts.

Anyway, there are many more cases where dpkg -L does not list all files
pertaining to a single package. Configuration files managed by
postinsts, for example, instances data, etc.

It's a shame there is no standard way to declare the (package-)ownership
of a file (the cruft(1) format is good enough, but is under-used, to say
the least).

I have recently taken an interest in obsolete conffiles and it's a real
mess to check whether a conffile is really obsolete (can be removed) or
is now managed by postinst (or ucf). Some conffiles left behind can have
side-effects (usually not important ones).
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq