Re: sensible-mailer

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 03:30:45PM +0100, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> On 05.03.2010 15:18, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >Le vendredi 05 mars 2010 à 15:06 +0100, Harald Braumann a écrit :
> >>I'd like to propose a `sensible-mailer' command. The main usage would
> >>be to handle `mailto' links. But maybe such functionality already exists
> >>and I'm just not aware of it, or there are specific reasons for not
> >>implementing this.
> >
> >xdg-open handles mailto links just fine.
>
> not guaranteed:
> from manpage: "xdg-open supports file, ftp, http and https URLs."

It's xdg-email. It has exactly the interface that I would envision, but alas
doesn't work. Not the whole world is a desktop. If it doesn't detect any of
the desktop environments, it will call sensible-browser, which leads you back
to where you've started (the browser, where you clicked the link).

So we would still need a sensible-mailer command, that can be called in such
a case. It's also necessary to convert the link to command line options for
mailers that don't support mailto links.

harry