Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

On 04/03/10 20:00, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> > > Letting alone policy issues: what do you propose, *concretely* to
> > > improve the situation?

A man page containing a *brief* (one or two lines) description of what
the program does and pointers to further more comprehensive
documentation would be vastly better than no man page at all.

> My upstream position is exactly what started the thread: no need to have
> duplicate information between --help and manpage, --help strings are
> easily translatable (and translated), and they are more likely to be up
> to date.

And where is the --help option described? Many programs don't provide it
at all, and as has already been said there are many different switches
used to access the help amongst those that do.

Roger