Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 04:36:56PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> I can’t help noticing, though, that it would only duplicate
> functionality that is already present in search engines of desktop help
> systems (which are also able to search in manual pages, FWIW).

I can't help noticing, though, that GUI "desktop environments" seem to
be reinventing the wheel over and over and over and over and over again.
Note that whatis exists far, far longer than "functionality that is
already present in search engines of desktop help systems". Note also
that not everyone *wants* to use "desktop help systems", but sometimes
needs to use individual GUI programs, or know what they do without
starting them.

trying to fool the system.