Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 10:20:44AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> So far the only thing that I can conclude from this “discussion” (just a
> gathering of rants, actually) is that we should just remove manual pages
> that are not maintained upstream and tag all related bugs wontfix.

YMMV. I've personally got some points from this thread, actually. For
instance, there were quite a few good (IMO) arguments for having
manpages for GUI programs (e.g. if I stumble upon the executable I don't
know yet if it is a GUI program or not).

Your problem of man page maintenance course stands.

As a mitigation for that I've for instance proposed [1] to have some GUI
specific "undocumented" manpage in which embed information about where
to find the most appropriate GUI doc (e.g. the GNOME help system). My,
maybe naive, idea was that GUI-specific debhelpers can install those
manpages automatically (relieving you from the burden of maintaining
them) and store there some references to some GUI help system. Maybe
it's really naive as an idea, but it would be nice if you could comment
on that.

Cheers.

[1] Message-Id: <20100228093138.GA1163@usha.takhisis.invalid>