Re: Xen, Squeeze, and Beyond

[Andrew M.A. Cater]
> Which servers that lack hardware virtualisation support - pretty
> much everything made in the last two or three years has it. For
> servers, specifically, the likelihood is that - Lenny has a 2 year
> life + 1 year, Squeeze has ? year life + 1 year - by the time you
> get to Squeeze + 1 anything that doesn't will be almost ten years
> old. QEMU will work.  Non-Intel - ARM, PPC ... may be another
> matter.

It is hard to predict, especially about the future.  :)

Anyway, as a simple data point, I can report that none of the 4
servers used by the Debian Edu project support hardware
virtualization, and thus we can not use KVM and use Xen instead.  I
expect these servers to live for several more years.

I understand the pain of maintaining Xen, but believe it is bad idea
to defend replacing it with kvm by claiming those needing
virtualization and not having servers with hardware support are few
and should just get new servers.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen