Re: Bits from the NM people

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:49:31AM +0100, Andreas Marschke wrote:
> On Monday 30 November 2009 00:08:20 Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > > Lets say this package is maintained on Launchpad that also "maintainance"
> > > for debian or would this have to be on mentors.debian.org to be a valid
> > > maintainance? (Just curios as there use to be some discussion between the
> > > bloggers about that some time back)
> >
> > Where it is maintained is irrelevant. What is important is the track
> > record within Debian, and that can be seen by tools like minechangelogs
> > and PTS for example. Or the handling of the bugs for this package that
> > you see via our BTS.
> >
> But if I remember right ftp.debian.org is an official debian repository to which
> only the DDs/Maintainers of a package have access to.
> Doesn't that mean I cant upload packages to this repository? Are there
> exceptional places on ftp.debian.org a non-maintainer can upload his packages
> to without triggering the alarmbells?

There is a difference between a package maintainer (the person or group
mentioned in a package's Maintainer field) and the Debian Maintainer (DM)
fields. While it is true that only DDs and DMs can upload to the archive, it is
still possible to maintain packages via a sponsor (who is actually uploading
packages for a non DD/DM maintainer. There are several good ways to find
sponsors, one is mentors.d.n [1] the other is one of the different teams [2].

[1] http://mentors.debian.net/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/CategoryTeams

There are surely more ways to show activity even without uploading packages or
doing other packaging work.

Regards
Jan

--