Re: debian/rules clean as root or non-root?

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:42:37AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> writes:

> >> If you build the package as real root and it creates a new directory
> >> (like installing into debian/package/ always does) then you can not
> >> clean without being real root. So the check isn't unnecessary.
> >
> > Yes, and dh_clean will almost certainly fail in such a situation.
> > Unless, maybe, you went to the insanity of running the build target with
> > real root rights.
>
> That is usualy what happens. Haven't yet completly tought my coworkers
> to always build packages as user.

Well, then do so. :)

> The extended dh_testroot I suggested would also catch cases where the
> package was build by another user I think. Might need some tuning (chmod
> 770?) to allow building by multiple users in a common group and setgid
> bit set.

It would catch those cases, BUT working on files that don't belong to
you can always lead to weird behavior, especially if you have a mix of
files owned by you and others. This is not packaging related but an
issue with your rights management (and workflow maybe). I don't think it
makes sense to solve it in debian/rules anyhow.

> >> If you did run only debian/rules build as root the error might
> >> get ignored and lost in the output.
> >
> > Why would anyone want to run the build target as root?  If you do that,
> > even running the clean target as root might not give you a state where
> > you can build the package as a normal user again.
> >
> > Sven
>
> It happens. The important part would be to clearly catch such a case. I
> can then delete the working dir and unpack the source again or check it
> out again.

debian/rules clean should provide you with exactly the same you had
after unpacking. If the files didn't belong to you then, they don't
belong to you now. There is nothing to catch here. Work in your own
$HOME :)

Hauke