Using ucf other than from maintainer scripts

Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to use ucf from a script that is
provided by a package to simplify local changes to a configuration file.

The case I'm thinking of is texconfig, a script in texlive-binaries that
(among other things) allows to set the default paper size for a couple
of applications.  The files that are changed to accomplish that are
currently conffiles.  I want to use a hook in /etc/libpaper.d/ to set
the correct default paper, but that would mean to change conffiles in
maintainer scripts (maybe not by the letter of the rule, since a hook is
not a maintainer script, but by its meaning, and by dpkg's annyoing
questions).

The obvious way out is to use ucf to handle the changes - but of course
the texconfig script can also be invoked manually by the admin.  Is it
okay to use ucf in this case?

The script would always take the existing version, apply its changes to
the papersize setting, and "commit" it with ucf - hence no
three-way-merge situation is possible here.  When other settings in that
files, besides papersize, change in an upload, that would be handled the
usual ucf way by texlive-binaries' postinst script.

Would that work?

TIA, Frank

P.S. In that case, can I pass "--debconf-ok" to ucf even for the case
where it is invoked manually by the admin with no debconf already
running; I mean, will debconf still *check* whether there's a debconf
instance running?
--
Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)