Re: Bits from the Mozilla Extension Packaging Team

Am Montag, den 01.02.2010, 21:34 +0100 schrieb Thilo Six:
> Question 1:
> You propose to use the prefix "xul-ext-" which is more generic i guess but
> the itself is called "pkg-mozext".
> Is that "moz" in the team name for historic reasons?

Yes, it's only for historic reasons.

> Or is it planed to rename it "pkg-xul-ext" Team?

There is currently no plans to rename the team, but it's worth thinking
about it. What do the other team member think about it?

> 2nd question:
> In the good old days (when ever these were) someone like a short sighted
> person like me could search via apt or aptitude for *compatible* extentions
> to his application.
> Now does it mean, that all those xulrunner based apps can make use the same
> extensions?
> e.g. does ist make sens to use "xul-ext-quotecolors" with iceweasle?

The extension must support the xulrunner based apps. quotecolors will
support the same amount of xulrunner based apps after the rename.
According to upstream it does not work with iceweasel.

> Realy i don't get so please explain a bit more deeply.

When using mozilla-devscripts, the extension will enhance the supported
xulrunner apps and provide xulapt-extname. In the case of
xul-ext-quotecolors, it will enhance icedove and provide
icedove-quotecolors. So are still able to run "apt-get install
icedove-quotecolors" or "apt-get install iceweasel-adblock-plus".

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)