Re: Package upgrade in Debian without corresponding changelog entry

  Hi,

On 30/01/2010 01:19, Russ Allbery wrote:
Goswin von Brederlow<goswin-v-b@web.de>  writes:

The +b<N>  suffix on the version is indeed a binNMU. That means that the
source was recompiled without any changes to the source. The changelog
is the one from the source so it only has the source version as top
entry.

binNMUs also modify the changelog in the package under normal
circumstances.  The only reason why it didn't in this case is because this
package symlinks the doc directory to another package, as previously
pointed out.

(Another reason to question the usefulness of symlinking doc directories.)

[taking my hat of mercurial maintainer]

  My reason for this behavior was that I want
1) doc installed by mercurial-common in its name-space (ie in
   /usr/share/doc/mercurial-common)
2) doc easy to find by mercurial users in /usr/share/doc/mercurial

The symlink of /usr/share/mercurial (with a strict dependency) was the
easiest way for me to do the work. If there is a consensus it is not a
good idea, I can try to change and symlink the content of
/usr/share/doc/mercurial-common into /usr/share/doc/mercurial (but
changelog.Debian.gz, copyright, ... of course) instead.

  Regards,
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0x9D025E87         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A  8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87