Re: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf...

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 01:09:38AM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > On Samstag, 23. Januar 2010, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> > >     *** WARNING: ucf was run from a maintainer script that uses debconf,
> > > but the script did not pass --debconf-ok to ucf. The maintainer script
> > > should be fixed to not stop debconf before calling ucf, and pass it this
> > > parameter. For now, ucf will revert to using old-style, non-debconf
> > > prompting. Ugh!
>
> > So using ucf wronly results in seriously buggy behaviour (not using debconf
> > for user prompting)? I think this is also a serious bug in ucf, besides being
> > a normal bug in the package using ucf.
>
> > Or am I missing something?
>
> It's not a bug in 'cat' that you can invoke it from a maintainer script in a
> way that violates the policy on user interaction.

Unless it is a particular version of "cat" that knows when it is invoked by
a maintainer script, and on top of that, knows when it is invoked in a wrong
way that would force it to violate Debian policy...

The real question is: which causes the least amount of long-term damage: try
to recover, or abort with extreme prejudice to force whatever is misusing
ucf to be fixed ASAP?

I don't claim to have an answer to that question, btw.

  Henrique Holschuh