Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:

> Raphael Geissert wrote:
>
>> Russ Allbery wrote:
>> [...]
>>> For Git-maintained packages like openafs, that would mean
>>> ignoring all the patch management features and letting it generate a
>>> single combined Debian diff analogous to the existing 1.0 diff from the
>>> patched upstream source maintained in Git.
>>>

>> I couldn't agree more with you. So far I have not converted any of my
>> packages, but might consider trying the 3.0 native format which doesn't
>> seem fool with patch management.
>>

> I apparently got fooled by the tricky name of 3.0 _native_, as it refers to
> Debian native packages. This is of course not what I'm looking for.
>
> I hope at some point a package format that is friendlier with VCS' is
> developed. Until then I'm sticking with 1.0 for all my VCS-managed packages
> (I only maintain two packages that fit that criteria).
>
> 3.0 would be friendlier if it would only *not* automatically apply the
> patches when extracting the source. But then there's not much point for
> dpkg to know about patches.
>
> Cheers,

You want 3.0 (quilt) format and use --single-debian-patch. Then on
every build a new debian/patches/debian-changes will be created
containing what used to be diff.gz.

In your git repository you would probably have an upstream and
pristine-tar branch and a master branch where all changes are applied
and debian/patches/debian-changes is ignored.

Does that sound like what you are looking for?

MfG
        Goswin