Re: Allow package bug scripts to unconditionally stop reportbug

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 14:35 +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> Hello,
> since version 4.10, reportbug checks the return code of the package
> bug scripts and, it != 0, ask the user if to continue or stop. This is
> the way we decided to fix #382010 .

> But now I'm wondering if there could be a use case of allowing the
> scripts to unconditionally stop reportbug, for example using a
> "special" exit code (140 f.e.) .

This is odd... it sounds like
 "You wanted to file a bug, well... don't!"

How can a package script know what a user want to report? On what basis
is it going to prevent the user from reporting a bug? I can think of
lots of bad reasons to use such feature, but I can't think of any
sensible one.
Some bad reasons:
* Your version isn't supported
* Your version is outdated
* Your configuration is broken
* The package is half-installed
* You are not using Debian
* You have mixed distribution version*
* PEBKAC

> If a relevant number of you prefers to have this "fast way out", I'm
> going and code it, else we can go on with the solution currently in
> place.

If you do implement it, please, provide a way to override it with a
command line option.

Thanks

Franklin
--
Can you master Open-source software? Prove it, write documentation.