Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

[Iustin Pop]
> the FQDN should be available directly on the host, without external
> dependencies. Which is why I personally think the machine name (the
> one that the kernel knows) should hold the canonical name.

I agree, and I always make sure /etc/hostname is the FQDN or something
close to it on machines I run.

We do the same at the university where I work, on all Unix versions
that are capable of storing the long names (had some problems with
older HP-UX, not sure we have any Unix versions left which refused
hostnames >8 characters).

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen