Re: New source package formats now available

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > Bugs as of today.
> > * Packages with different patch systems like linux-2.6. In this case
> >   dpkg-source ignores failures to register a patch and produces
> >   sources without the changes. (#557618)
>
> As discussed on IRC this is a matter of false advertising by the
> announcement and the wiki. Which also seems to be the main problem
> Rhonda has with the format.

It's not false advertising. The problem that Bastian saw is that quilt is
not returning an error when debian/patches/series is not a file. I'm going
to check for that in the next dpkg version.

> YOU CAN NOT MIX PATCH SYSTEMS.

You certainly can. It doesn't mean that it's always a good idea though.
For packages like linux-2.6, it makes sense.

I made some choices to avoid conflicts with other patch systems, in
particular no .patch or .diff extension to automatic patches so that they
are not picked up by patch systems like simple-patchsys.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog