Re: New source package formats now available

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 04:54:36PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> since a few weeks the Debian archive accepts source package using the new
> formats "3.0 (quilt)" and "3.0 (native)".

I tried "3.0 (quilt)" with several packages today and none worked
properly, so several large packages will be stuck with "3.0 (native)".

Bugs as of today.
* Packages with different patch systems like linux-2.6. In this case
  dpkg-source ignores failures to register a patch and produces
  sources without the changes. (#557618)
* The "3.0 (quilt)" format is incompatible with "quilt" by using
  different patch directories and features. (#557619)
* Fuzzy patches leads to silent ignore of the complete patchset.
  (#557664)
* Different behaviour between quilt installed/not installed.
Several others against quilt themself are missing.

The whole thing is super fragile. It is mostly impossible to use both
"3.0 (quilt)" and quilt themself because you use it to develop.

>                                           The last step for us (dpkg
> maintainers) in this project is to change dpkg-source to use those new
> formats by default.

I will propose a GR to stop you if you go on until it works properly.
And yes, this includes packages like linux-2.6, which have to use a more
sophisticated patch system than quilt.

Or you start and propose a different format that can be mostly like 3.0
(quilt) for the result (multiple tars) but without the implicit quilt
constraints.

>                     However, before we do this we want to ensure that
> no packages (in sid) will be broken due to this switch and there are
> quite a few packages left to fix:

You have to add the bugs above.

Bastian

--
Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes.
		-- Edith Keeler, "The City on the Edge of Forever",