Re: New source package formats now available

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Bastian Blank wrote:
> I tried "3.0 (quilt)" with several packages today and none worked
> properly, so several large packages will be stuck with "3.0 (native)".

1.0 is not going away even if we change the default.

> Bugs as of today.

Won't comment here. I have already commented an each individual bugs
and will fix those that make sense.

> The whole thing is super fragile. It is mostly impossible to use both
> "3.0 (quilt)" and quilt themself because you use it to develop.

That's just wrong. I do it without problems by using the .quiltrc
snippet from /usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source.

> I will propose a GR to stop you if you go on until it works properly.

That's always a nice thing to say at the start of a discussion. You have
proven once more that your social skills suck.

> And yes, this includes packages like linux-2.6, which have to use a more
> sophisticated patch system than quilt.

If you avoid the conflict on debian/patches/series being a directory
instead of a file, there's no reason it will be more problematic than
a random package. Just use another directory name and let that file empty
in case someone changes an upstream files without using your custom patch
system.

> Or you start and propose a different format that can be mostly like 3.0
> (quilt) for the result (multiple tars) but without the implicit quilt
> constraints.

Not me, no. And people should have requested that 1-2 years ago when we were
discussing the new formats in -devel.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog