Re: common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

Heya, sorry for the delay.

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:15:56PM +0100, sean finney wrote:
> > Inherently, such a proposal applies to static content, not CGI
> > applications. I fail to see where lay problems about unconfigured static
> > content.
>
> read-only static content unpacked from packages is certainly not an
> issue wrt being "unconfigured", but i was given the impression by other
> folks in this thread that the scope was not this narrow.

I might have contributed to that impression when I mentioned that
cgi-bin is already configured in some web servers. Sorry about that, the
proposal was initially for static content only, to actually find an
uniform solution to most of the outstanding RC bugs
dir-or-file-in-var-www.

Still, a related question to answer is: do we want CGIs installed under
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/ to be enabled by default? I believe currently the
answer is that they are enabled "yes and no", in the sense that with
some web servers you first need to add the CGI module / handler, but
beside that they do work.

> but at the same time, if we're only talking about static content at
> this filesystem location, i wonder about the overall utility/benefit
> of standardizing on a location in the first place.  how many webapp
> packages in debian consist of only read-only static content, which
> would be helped by such a standardization?
>
> wrt the issue about namespacing and default URL's (i guess this is
> a seperate issue from fs location, really) i'm unconvinced about the
> benefits outweighing the costs.  has anyone considered putting up the
> arguments for it in a DEP?

I've thought about that, but I don't have Debian time to offer alone on
that, right now. The first step would be the one you propose: testing
packages (the current dir-or-file-in-var-www buggy would be a good
start, I think) to check how many of them can be made to work by such a
change. Deciding whether CGI bin are enabled by default as asked above
of course has an impact on this.

If you are interested in working on this, we can try drafting something
together.

Cheers.