Re: common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

hi guys,

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 02:56:59PM +0100, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > To try making it a bit less ugly (and hard to type due to the moving
> > nature of "-" as others have pointed out), I just try to mediate with
> > "/vendor/".
>
> FWIW, I'm fine with /vendor.

personally, beyond the aesthetically displeasing name, i'm really
skeptical that this will accomplish anything useful.

* most apps require extra config and splitting out of stuff into other
  directories for fhs compliance anyway, thus requiring some level of
  webserver configuration, meaning this adds no benefit (beyond 1 line
  fewer in the server config).
* this encourages a "working in unconfigured state" for packages, which
  seems very sketchy wrt security (similarly, to apps dropping random
  publically executable scripts in /usr/lib/cgi-bin.

tbh this seems closer to the "solution looking for a problem" rather than
the other way around.

	sean