Re: The horde of sloppy maintainers is a myth. Maybe not. Maybe yes.

Le Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 02:18:16AM +0100, Cyril Brulebois a écrit :

> Nice to see you assert your gut feeling is right and that stupid
> people are candid enough to believe in myths.
>
> When you change your mind and actually start caring, try and check
> what you're talking about, try and dig up some actual clues. Starting
> with FTBFSes filed by buildd maintainers right after packages got
> uploaded because they're missing Build-Depends might be a good start.
>
> And no, this is not about just a single person. But if you think you
> already got the whole picture, give facts, don't talk about your gut
> feeling. You're not Gibbs anyway.

Hi Cyril,

I am not the one who calls people sloppy, stupid or candid on this list.

Since you want facts, why not giving the name of the maintainers who upload
packages with missing Build-Depends and ignore the bugs after it is reported? I
see no problem on challenging the quality of people's work on this list if it
is done with an appropriate language. This will help everybody to know what the
situation really is.

I was just having a look at debian-newmaint and realised that since I visit
this list (2006), I have not seen any AM report that is not elogious on the
future new DD. Are all newcomers excellent and old-timers careless ? Or is it
just that a handful of DDs maintain too many packages and are burned out?

Note that all the limitations that are put in order to protect Debian against
its ‘sloppy maintainers’ are actually a way to increase their number, not to
correct their behaviour.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy