Re: GR proposal: the AGPL does not meet the DFSG (take 2)

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> Stupid question: with this wording of the AGPL, who, in his right mind,
> will be licensing a DNS or POP server under this license ? (Except maybe
> someone who didn't read it)

There are lots of people who pick a license without close reading.
Perhaps even a majority.

But more importantly: good code in a webapp (where AGPL is "at home")
might find its way into a different network service. The example
earlier in the thread of a webapp growing an IMAP service is right.

So this AGPL webapp has an IMAP service; such a good one indeed that I
might want to reuse some of its code for a pure IMAP server.

The "spirit" of the AGPL is clear, but the wording is horrible. I am
not sure if a better wording is possible, perhaps its stated goals are
hard to support within a reasonable FOSS license.

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com
 martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions