Re: Build logs from local builds

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 02:58:19PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26 2009, Adam Majer wrote:
> > Or here's a radical idea - allow source only uploads of packages.
>
>         And thus allow people to upload without ever building locally.

I would expect people to build packages locally. How else can they
install then? How can they test them otherwise?

What about ditching *.deb before the upload? dput and related upload
as they do now but ignore *.deb. Archive requires that .debs are in
.changes but does not check for their actual presence. Would that work?

> > People are lazy and like myself don't want to sync pbuilder and
> > related stuff every time I want to upload something. Since my box is
> > rarely up to date, this can result in dependencies lagging
> > somewhat compared to official buildd. I generally don't check for any
> > build-depends problems anyway with pbuilder unless buildd chokes.
>
>         Goodness.

It's not goodness. It is reality that dependencies will *lag*
somewhere. Be it on dev box, or buildd themselves.

Build dependencies are not installable in pbuilder for days if not
longer for certain packages. I've also had number of times where my
build was ahead of buildd environment and then a packages has one set
of dependencies for buildd and another for my upload.

And seriously, you write "goodness" to lagging dependencies and
lack of pbuilder, but above you write "And thus allow people to upload
without ever building locally." I seriously think there are trust
issues. You (whoever made the policy) trust people to use pbuilder
all the time but you would NOT trust people to only upload packages
that build on their boxes. I, on the other hand, would trust people to
actually build packages and *test* them on their boxes *prior* to
upload.

Anyway, I raise this trust issue in another reply with some better
examples of what is trusted and what appears to be not trusted.

- Adam