Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> I think we should at some point check with Mozilla Corporation about
> their stance: would they consider it to be a trademark violation if we
> mention "Firefox" in some way in the UA string of Iceweasel?

It will be difficult to phrase this question in such a way that there's
actually a chance they could consider it. That is, a way to ask that
there might be a chance they could say “it's fine for you to do that”.

Asking the bald question is likely to go quickly through to the MozCorp
legal department, who have *zero* motivation to give such a risky
answer, and every motivation to simply say “we decline to give
permission” without seriously considering the matter.

--
 \     “There is something wonderful in seeing a wrong-headed majority |
  `\           assailed by truth.” —John Kenneth Galbraith, 1989-07-28 |