Re: common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org> wrote:

>> Support for multiple independent instances configured to use arbitrary
>> locations for data/configuration, arbitrary vhosts and arbitrary
>> sub-paths of those vhosts.
>
> That means: as many files reusable by each instance as possible, those
> in /usr/share/, and instance specific files in /var/{lib,cache}/package/
> and /etc/package/. Right?

Right. Instance specific files should go to a sysadmin-specified
directory, I might use /srv/http/client/vhost/ while others might want
to use /var/www/vhost or /home/client/htdocs/vhost. That said, perhaps
/var/{lib,cache}/package/ is a better choice, not sure.

>> Scripts that can be used to setup an instance, configure it and
>> register it with the package and with the available and
>> sysadmin-selected web servers.
>
> And I think a webapp should configure the first instance during
> postinst. Applications should be able to run after installation.

That would be fine by me, it certainly should be possible to skip that
step though and run the script manually later on.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise