Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:33:49AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:22:38AM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Is there a particular browser that you would advocate replacing iceweasel
> > with as the default browser in Debian?  If Debian is going to switch to
> > another browser as the default, which also provides an engine compatible
> > with firefox but uses a different UA string, I'm happy to focus my attention
> > there.

> When did Iceweasel become the default browser ? Does Debian even have a
> "default browser" ?

In December 2006, when it was added to the desktop task is tasksel:

tasksel (2.59) unstable; urgency=low

  [...]
  * Add iceweasel to desktop task is it conflicts/replaces firefox.
    Closes: #400154
    Left firefox in there for the transition.
  [...]

 -- Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>  Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:13:23 -0500