Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

John Goerzen wrote:
[...]
> It would be *great* if this could be fixed before sarge comes out.

Like Mike already said, those sites or applications also break with many
other browsers. The, often limited, knowledge of the browsers by the
developer shouldn't be a reason to limit the usage of those sites or
applications.

As a person who has developed web apps and has had to deal with this my
opinion is to follow the specs and implement remedies in a best-effort
manner for those browsers that don't follow or support the specs. Any
UA-based decision to say some browser is supported is silly and is meant to
fail.

Is it hard?, sure. Takes time?, yup. Should we give up?, I say no.
Opera started the "Open the Web" effort to educate people about different
browsers and standards. The other browsers are not alone.
What's more, they often give seminars at universities[1] and they created
the "Web Standards Curriculum"[2]; both meant to educate and help spread
standards.

I think it is time for the project to recognise this kind of freedom issues
and stand still and fight against those that keep limiting our freedom.

[1]http://www.opera.com/company/education/tours/
[2]http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/1-introduction-to-the-web-standards-cur/

Regards,
--