Re: Iceweasel and Firefox compatibility

On Tue, November 10, 2009 04:46, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 07:48:49PM -0600, Raphael Geissert wrote:

>> As a person who has developed web apps and has had to deal with this my
>> opinion is to follow the specs and implement remedies in a best-effort
>> manner for those browsers that don't follow or support the specs. Any
>> UA-based decision to say some browser is supported is silly and is meant
>> fail.
>
> Yes, web apps that look at the UA string to decide whether to play nice
> are
> broken.  In what possible way does this imply that we should engage in a
> policy of brinksmanship with these web developers, making all of our users
> pawns in a battle to force web developers to write cleaner code?

I couldn't agree more. Debian is not about fixing the world, and we do not
need to fight every battle out there. We must choose which battles to take
on, and this one has a very low chance on success while it hampers other
aspects of the project.

There have been suggestions in this thread that the User-Agent can changed
by end-users through plugins or about:config. I propose that we change the
default to mention Firefox, and those in this thread that are interested
in fighting the User-Agent battle can use the User-Agent switchting to aid
them in that.

cheers,
Thijs