Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 11:44 -0400, Barry deFreese wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> A few of us have been discussing the removal of sun-java6.  It is
> non-free, orphaned, buggy (including security bugs), and can
> generally
> be replaced by openjdk.  There are only three reverse depends left
> and
> none of them directly depend on sun-java6 but instead dep on
> java6-runtime.
>
> There has also been some similar discussions in Ubuntu with some
> users
> reporting that some web sites and packages don't work with openjdk but
> have not seen a lot of concrete proof.
>
> My personal feeling is that we either need to remove it or fix it up.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry deFreese

In my opinion, I would opt to keep sun-java6 in the archives for a while
longer.  There are places where the openjdk just doesn't cut it when you
are programing in Java (paint3D wasn't implemented last I heard, ans
such like that).

Not too much of an argument, just hoping to share that angle (if it
hasn't been shared already)
--
Luke Cycon <lcycon@gmail.com>