Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

sean finney wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:14:19AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> I believe most (or at least many) of those only support a single web
>> root. If you want to serve munin's static content from /usr/share/munin
>> and foo's static content from /usr/share/foo , you'll probably just
>> symlink both from /var/www and hope that this httpd supports (doesn't
>> explicitly disable) symlinks and doesn't chroot.
>
> i believe the most webservers worth attention provide some form of
> alias/scriptalias support that would negate the need to put things in
> /var/www in order to get them working out of the box.
>
> for the rest, with the lack of such ability i think the debian packages
> should err on the side of caution and do nothing, leaving it to the local
> admin to configure the application (whether by dropping in symlinks or
> something else).  packages should not ever ship with stuff in /var/www
> whether they be data or symlinks, for the same reason that they shouldn't
> do so in /srv.

I think that is fine as long as there is clear documentation available on
_how_ to manually configure things so that they can be used from a simple
single web root.

Possibly this could be a required section in README.Debian for packages
that provide web services?

I personally like boa on my laptop for things like dwww and info2www.
I also like the fact that they currently do work without any manual
configuration. The fact that they are installed should IMO be sufficient
indication that I actually want to use them.

Cheers,
FJP