Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

hi,

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 08:14:19AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> I believe most (or at least many) of those only support a single web
> root. If you want to serve munin's static content from /usr/share/munin
> and foo's static content from /usr/share/foo , you'll probably just
> symlink both from /var/www and hope that this httpd supports (doesn't
> explicitly disable) symlinks and doesn't chroot.

i believe the most webservers worth attention provide some form of
alias/scriptalias support that would negate the need to put things in
/var/www in order to get them working out of the box.

for the rest, with the lack of such ability i think the debian packages
should err on the side of caution and do nothing, leaving it to the local
admin to configure the application (whether by dropping in symlinks or
something else).  packages should not ever ship with stuff in /var/www
whether they be data or symlinks, for the same reason that they shouldn't
do so in /srv.

	sean