Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 01:45 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> writes:
>
> > I think having munin working out-of-the-box is a very neat feature.
>
> I think we need better support in the Apache package for adding particular
> aliases and similar URL configuration into the default site, so that those
> who want to do things like this can add the necessary URL mappings to the
> default site and those of us who are doing anything more complex and who
> are therefore disabling the default site anyway don't have random packages
> suddenly taking over portions of our URL space.

The URL namespace isn't "suddenly" taken over:
1. The admin deliberately install the package.
2. The admin choose to use the default settings of the package.
   (editing the conf files is usually trivial)

Personally, on my modest production websites, I always disable the
default website (a2dissite 000-default), then disable the "Include"
lines in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf... So I can cherry pick (Include or
copy) the configuration files snippets in my vhosts.
On some other machines, I am often very happy to just "apt-get install"
and simply _read_ the fine manual.

I would be really annoyed I had to manually configure and enable
ssh-server on every machine (generating the host key, configure sshd,
enabling sshd in /etc/default/ssh, then start the service).
Same applies to most webapps.

Regards