Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Wed, Jul 22 2009, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

If we remove the essential flag, we have a nice feature:
the packages who needs bash need to be documented (via Depends).

        Can you tell me how long did it take to move from /usr/doc to
/usr/share/doc?

I don't know real numbers, but:
- it take long time: for this reason I want to start to discuss it now.
  I don't expect it for next release. We could recommend to document
  bash features. Policy doesn't forbid it
- now we are braver (or better we have more tools). A lot of people
  did not updated packages for several releases, but now we can
  easily extract and analyze all archive, and correct bugs. It is also
  simpler: only a dependency, instead of analyzing upstream makefiles,
  and so on to adapt the paths.

But maybe I'm really undervaluating the effort.

ciao
    cate