Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)

Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
>> My only doubt, also stated in previous thread is the "dash essential".
>
> It is the goal of many people to remove bash (and dash) and some other
> packages from essential. But at this time, it is needed.

In general it is very difficult to remove the essential flag from a
package. 'Essential' has two meanings. From policy (3.8):

"""Packages may assume that functionality provided by essential packages
is always available without declaring explicit dependencies, which means
that removing functionality from the Essential set is very difficult and
is almost never done. """

But probably for the shell cases it is easier to remove 'essential'
flag (especially for a minimal nearly POSIX-like shell like dash),
because the interface of #!/bin/sh is defined in policy (10.3).

IMHO your third point "make another essential package depend on dash."
is it enough, but if we really need dash explicitly "Essential", do it!

ciao
	cate