Re: The wider implications of debhelper/dbus breakage

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 03:45:13PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2009-07-18, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
> > Ah, so this is about not interfering with testing migration, I guess?
>
> It's not only testing migration.  As an example: If you have a large chain
> of binNMUs which all need some dep-wait on a package upper in the chain
> you get the effect that the whole thing takes several days just because
> each step of the chain first blocks on signing and uploading once a day to
> do the next one.

How often does that happen? (serious question, I have no clue)

> Even if the once a day doesn't hold it still affects slow
> architectures.
>
> I see it like Luk that we want porters to care about logs of build
> failures.

Oh, I totally agree there; but then I should also add that I think
buildd maintainers should preferably be porters themselves.

> I don't see why anyone should get bothered by the huge bunch of
> successful logs.

I think I explained sufficiently in my previous mails that I personally
do not think it is something bothersome, and that I would prefer not
losing them.

> Of course it can be scripted, but then, why are we even putting the
> human in between of this.  If it's just about some simple regexp to
> highlight them we can also weed out known patterns on the buildd and
> pass them on for manual review.

That requires you to keep a bunch of regexps in sync across a bunch of
buildd machines. It's easier to have those highlights in one place in a
mail client configuration, especially in case you want to add one when
you're on the road and figure out you need one extra.

Additionally, it is _not_ only about those regexps; as I explained, I
find that the daily batch of success mails helps me stay "aware" of the
fact that I'm handling a buildd machine. It also helps me in being aware
of how well it's performing -- if there are 20 failure mails and 100
success mails, it's doing well. If there are 20 failure mails and just 1
success mail, I may want to investigate what the hell is going on. A
daily 'summary' mail doesn't do that for me, mainly because people have
a tendency to not look at that (how many of you actually _read_ cron
output?)

trying to fool the system.