Re: mail server broken: are debian reject messages logged ?

Le Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:00:11PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :

> >> Yes, you can find them on merkel:/srv/ftp.debian.org/queue/reject/*.reason
> > there are not many files there. Is there a place where the rejection mails to
> > ‘NEW’ uploads are archived? Otherwise, how about sending them to the package's
> > ITP bug when available?
>
> There is no reliable way to detect that a bug# is for an ITP.

Hi Joerg,

I just submitted two copyright reviews of NEW packages to their ITP bugs a few
minutes ago. Here is my receipe to see if a bug# is for an ITP:

1) Chose a package in the following list:
   http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html

2) Look at the last column (Closes).

3) If there is one bug, click on it. If there are more than one, do not waste
   your time: new packages usually close only one bug.

4) If the second line starts with the letters ITP, there high probability that
   it is an ITP bug. You may want to doublecheck with the third line. If it starts
   with ‘Package: wnpp’, then the chances are even higher that it is a genuine ITP
   bug.

This procedure may generate a few false positives and false negatives, but I
think it is a good start… Of course, if you do not use
http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html when you do your reviews, it is not
efficient. By the way, what is the workflow for reviewing NEW packages in the
FTP team?

To come back to the original question, if posting to ITP bugs is not
practicable, how about CCing an archived public mailing list? That is the core
of my suggestion: maye the rejection emails publically available in a central
place so that other developers can learn form them.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan